Launched in 1999, the NSGP Foundation is the champion of group psychotherapy. The Foundation provides scholarships for clinicians seeking to apply group work to their practices; training for group therapists; forums on trends, research and applications of group therapy; and public education.
According to the by-laws, the purposes of the NSGP Foundation are as follows:
- Stimulation and promotion of and participation in scientific research in group therapy;
- Publication of literature relating to group psychotherapy, scientific research in group psychotherapy, panel discussions and forum debates on group psychotherapy; reprinting of lectures and other material related to mental health;
- Promotion and presentation of public discussion groups, forums, panels, lectures or other similar programs; such programs may be on radio or television;
- Promotion and advancement of mental health and mental hygiene through expansion of educational facilities in the field of group psychotherapy;
- Promotion and development of new methods of group psychotherapy for the treatment and prevention of mental illness and mental disorders; and
- Engagement in such other and further means as may be necessary and proper to accomplish the foregoing purposes.